Perhaps we may be asking for a job that pays decently or maybe a significant other to be in a relationship with or even a promotion/pay rise that your peers seem to be getting. These are real situations that we will struggle with and the desire is not wrong in and of itself. What's wrong with striving to do better so that we can get promoted? What's wrong with seeking a relationship when God is the One who created us to be relational beings? Personally I don't think it's wrong to have such desires (of course desires that are evil/harmful in and of itself are wrong, for example you wish for the death of a person). But herein lies the danger of what you do with that desire.
If my mind is set on that thing that I don't have and that desire grows to consume my thoughts, it has the danger of becoming an idol in my life. I end up focusing on the things I don't have in life and my discontentment starts to grow. It may start small but such feelings tend to snowball over time and before you know it, it consumes us and leaves us feeling bitter and dissatisfied.
Why does this way of thinking reveal a lack of trust in God? The Bible clearly tells us that God does not withhold any good thing from those who walk in His ways, meaning that if something is good for you, God will definitely give it to you. And so, what is considered good? I would choose to define good according to God's standards because something that I feel is good for me may not necessarily benefit me in the long term and in the big picture. Since only God knows all things and sees everything from the beginning to the end, He will know what things are good and ultimately beneficial to us. A good thing would be something that helps us to grow in Christ-likeness and grow in our relationship with God.
Focusing on things we do not have also results in us not being appreciative of the things we have. When we become so concerned about chasing after that one thing we lack, for example, a romantic relationship, we end up forgetting about the things around us that we do have, which are a plenty - family, friendships etc. God has surely blessed us in many ways and so we should count our blessings rather than be unhappy about the things we don't have.
I admit, it is a challenge.
It's so easy to end up comparing myself to others and wishing "if only i had that thing, i'll be happier". That's why I find it important to journal down these thoughts I have, to remind myself in the future and to preach to myself (which helps to renew my mind). I continue on in this life journey of learning how to find contentment in Christ and trusting in the character of God.
No comments:
Post a Comment